East County offers such a wide variety of different activities that you’ll never once feel bored. There are museums for the history buffs, hiking and wildlife for those that love the outdoors, and fresh produce to pick and baked goods to try from local farms.
An easy drive from Washington, D.C., East County includes the communities of Burtonsville and Colesville in the eastern part of Montgomery County.
- A visit to the National Capital Trolley Museum to learn about the history, mission, and development of trolleys
- Stocking up on homemade baked goods, sweet cider, fresh produce, and local products from Heyser Farms
- A relaxing day of fishing for wild brown trout, and stocked rainbow and browns on the Patuxent River, all year-round
- Tasting authentic Cuban flavors at Cuba de Ayer Restaurant
- Hiking through the Rocky Gorge Reservoir while spotting heron, deer, and other wildlife along the way
- Catching a game at The Greene Turtle Sports Bar & Grille while digging into brews and bar bites with friends
- Pick up a living souvenir or an outdoor gift item from Meadows Farms Nurseries & Landscape
- Take a ride through the woods in an electric streetcar at the National Capital Trolley Museum
- Purchase a trail pass to horseback ride through the Rock Gorge Trail at the Rocky Gorge Reservoir
Airport: East County is a 45 minute from Dulles International Airport (IAD), a 30-minute drive from Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI), and a 35-minute drive from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA).
From Washington, DC:
- Driving: East County is a 25-minute drive away from Washington, D.C