In 1927, The Smithville Colored School was opened with the financial support from the Julius Rosenwald fund, money raised by the community and funds from the County Board of Education. This was an attempt to give black children a better education than they had before.
In 1952, the school was closed and used for various county maintenance functions.
By working with the Historical Preservation Commission and the Planning Board, the County Council and the County Executive, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. has taken that which was designed to separate us and are using it to unite us. The conversion of this property to a museum, computer/education center and community meeting facility continues to have a positive effect in Montgomery County.