This historic building dates to the early 1830s and was purchased by Montgomery County Public Schools in the 1860s when Maryland established free public schools for white students. Montgomery County Public Schools purchased the building from the Trustees of the Methodist-Episcopal Church that was located on what is now North Street. The Brookeville Schoolhouse is a classic example of the first one-room public school and was in continuous use until the 1920’s when it was replaced by a new, larger school. After that, the building was used as a private residence and was abandoned for several decades.
The Town of Brookeville acquired the property from the estate of Dr. Howell J. Howard, Jr., whose parents were African American educators who taught in Washington, D.C., and Montgomery County. In 1997, the Town of Brookeville received a $1,000 grant from the Montgomery County Historic Preservation Commission to develop a restoration plan for the building.
The schoolhouse now functioning as a one-room schoolhouse museum and is open each year for Heritage Days as well as other special occasions.