We’ve compiled a list of 10 activities you can enjoy this summer for $10 or less!
10 Things To Do For $10 Or Less in Montgomery County, Maryland:
1. Visit the C&O Canal and Great Falls. The park is a historic waterway, offering mule-drawn boat rides, natural areas & the Great Falls Tavern Visitor Center. You can walk or bike along the C&O Canal or hike the rocks of Great Falls. Hike the local favorite Billy Goat Trail. A 4.7 mile hiking trail that follows the path between the C&O Canal and the Potomac River within the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park near Great Falls in Montgomery County, Maryland. $10 car entrance fee; $5 per person entering by foot or bicycle (pass is valid for 3 days)
2. Go to Wings of Fancy Live Butterfly & Caterpillar Exhibit at Brookside Gardens. The exhibit is open through October 25, 2015. This seasonal display features hundreds of live butterflies from all over the world. Families, students, nature lovers, and everyone in between can get an up close experience of these brilliant butterflies from North America, Costa Rica, Africa and Asia as they soar among colorful flowers. Open daily from 10 am – 4 pm. Fee: $8 for ages 13 and up; $5 for ages 3-12; Free for ages 0-2.
3. Take a ride on a carousel. Montgomery County has three beautiful carousels. The Ovid Hazen Wells Carousel in Wheaton Regional Park was built in 1915 and features 33 jumping horses, three zebras and two chariots. Tickets for one ride are $2. Glen Echo Park’s historic 1921 Dentzel Carouselis a classic example of hand woodcarving popular during the early 1900s. The cost is $1.25 per ride. The Carousel at RIO Washingtonian is presented by Shady Grove Adventist Hospital and is the newest addition to RIO’s family-friendly lakefront attractions. The classic attraction features beautiful Americana-style scenery, an antique-style lighted ceiling, spiral brass pole sleeves, beveled glass mirrors, crown lighting, music and overlooks the lake. Tickets for the Carousel are $3.00.
4. Go kayaking! Enjoy the beautiful 505-acre lake at Black Hill as well as the wildlife that make the lake their home. Visitors to Rock Creek Regional Park can enjoy the beautiful 75-acre Lake Needwood in rental kayaks. Kayak rentals are available at Lake Needwood in Rockville and at Black Hill Park in Boyds for $10 an hour.
5. Hike for FREE at Sugarloaf Mountain! Sugarloaf Mountainin Dickerson, MD is open to the public for hiking, rock climbing, and sightseeing. Sugarloaf offers three well-marked hiking trails: a 2.5 mile, 5 mile or a 7 mile loop.
6. Cool off at Splash Play Ground! The Splash Playground is one of the most popular features of South Germantown Recreational Park. Kids will have an excellent time and stay cool playing in the one-of-a-kind 280-jet water maze, cave with a waterfall, water bucket drops, slide, and spraying animals. Cost is $4 per person
7. Enjoy a game of Monster Mini Golf! Monster Mini Golf of Gaithersburg, Maryland invites you to experience 18 holes of monster themed, glow-in-the dark mini golf, exciting arcade games, great fun and awesome prizes!
8. Take a step back in history at the National Capital Trolley Museum. The National Capital Trolley Museum, in cooperation with Montgomery County Parks, brings the sights and sounds of the trolley era to visitors of all ages. Experience early 20th century transit as you travel two miles aboard a Washington street car, an American trolley, or a European Tram. Tour Street Car Hall with a docent. See “Street Cars Go to the Movies” and the Rock Creek Railway model in Main Hall. Enjoy interactive exhibits, film programs, and the Museum Shop. Admission cost is $7 and includes Museum displays, docent-led tours, unlimited street car rides.
9. Visit the exhibits at VisArts in Rockville. VisArts hosts many free community activities in conjunction with our gallery shows and exhibitions. To view their upcoming gallery shows click here. Most shows are free and open to the public.
10. Take a bike ride in different areas of the county with Capital Bikeshare. You can take as many trips as you’d like during your membership period (membership cost for 24 hours is $8). The first 30 minutes of each trip are free! Click here for more information.