Rockville features fantastic amenities, unique locally owned shops and restaurants, an art gallery and a pedestrian-friendly Town Square! In the winter, enjoy ice skating at Montgomery County’s largest outdoor ice rink in Rockville Town Square. Take a drive down Rockville Pike and shop ‘til you drop. “The Pike” offers a variety of shopping centers complete with clothing boutiques, specialty stores and plenty of restaurants to choose from. Notably, the city is the County seat of Montgomery County.
5 Things To Do in Rockville
- Go Climbing: Visit the Rockville outpost of Earth Treks, the premier indoor climbing gyms in Maryland and Virginia. The gym is outfitted with climbing for every age and ability level.
- Reach For the Treetops: In addition to zip lines, Go Ape is a 2-3-hour adventure through the forest canopy that takes you on a journey through suspended obstacles and Tarzan – all in the heart of the city.
- Learn From a Brewmaster: 7 Locks Brewing is a local brewery that offers 10 beers on tap that they brew onsite. Its brewery is an open floor space – there are no walls to separate you from the production equipment. Go for a tour and learn about their brewing process.
- Explore the Lake: Take a walk or bike ride along Lake Needwood, a 75-acre part of Rock Creek Regional Park. Enjoy the beautiful lake in rental kayaks, rowboats, canoes or pedal boats, or on a tour of the lake aboard the Needwood Queen during the summer.
- Walk Through History: The Beall-Dawson House was built in 1815 for Upton Beall and his family. Beall, from a prominent Georgetown family, was Clerk of the Court for the county, and he wanted a home that would reflect his wealth and status. Today, visitors can go on a tour of the house, which still contains most of its original architectural features, and learn about life in the 19th century.
Rockville has numerous shopping options for every budget and style, whether you’re a fashionista or bargain shopper. Find one-of-a-kind toys at Toy Kingdom in the Town Center. Discover great deals on designer clothes and accessories at Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH and Neiman Marcus Last Call in Congressional Plaza on Rockville Pike. And, get great workout and camping gear at Nike and REI at the upscale Pike & Rose shopping center.
Enjoy exotic tastes satisfied with Lebanese, Italian, Greek, Cuban, Afghan, Tex-Mex or tapas on your plate. Discover your next favorite restaurant through our convenient Restaurant search page.
Looking for something to do or need a place to stay? Use the Event Calendar tool below to search for fun events and activities in Rockville. We’ve also put together some suggestions of great hotels in the area below. For more ideas on things to do in and up-to-date information about Montgomery County, visit our blog.